Forums

• Here is an interesting link to Japanese wartime footage someone posted in the j-aircraft forum a few days ago:

http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/shogenarchives/jpnews/movie.cgi?das_id=D0001300322_00000&seg_number=001

The interesting part starts at 3:41. It shows Zeros starting at Rabaul and intercepting an Allied raid. The air combat was filmed from the ground, probably in January 1944.
    Japanese air combat footage is very rare, because no gun-cameras were used. If someone knows similar footage please post a link.

• Nice find! I found the following particularly interesting:

02:55 - Rifleman or pole vaulter? ..that's one lengthy weapon; Arisaka Type 38 perhaps. I don't think he's a beekeeper either; the mosquitoes must have been horrendous.

07:50 - The outer white ring of the Hinamaru has been painted over.

08:05 - Looks like someone got too close to their own AAA.

08:12 - Armoror feeding belt with left hand, while 'stacking' the feed-tray with his right hand.

08:56 - If that's a tally-board, and I think it is because Google Translate says they "shot down 69 machines", then the P-38's took a beating; I was surprised to see that. I'm not certain what the numbers in parenthesis are; 'probables' perhaps? But then, this is a propaganda film, judging by the pilots staying in full gear (including fur-lined caps) in what must have been a sweltering climate. Otherwise that's taking 'uniform discipline' to the extreme.

09:04 Party Time!!!! (still in full flight gear, goggles and all).

Indeed, some amazing footage; thanks for posting mate.

• 07:50 - The outer white ring of the Hinamaru has been painted over.

Rudi_Jaeger

It was done to improve the camouflage and wasn't uncommon in frontline units.

08:56 - If that's a tally-board, and I think it is because Google Translate says they "shot down 69 machines", then the P-38's took a beating; I was surprised to see that. I'm not certain what the numbers in parenthesis are; 'probables' perhaps? But then, this is a propaganda film, judging by the pilots staying in full gear (including fur-lined caps) in what must have been a sweltering climate. Otherwise that's taking 'uniform discipline' to the extreme.

Rudi_Jaeger

The claims for the mission are obviously a little bit too optimistic. According to Wolf's "13th Fighter Command in World War II" around 100 Allied planes were lost over Rabaul in January 1944, although the Japanese claimed 618. Only 19 P-38s were lost during the whole month.

Moderator(s): Boelcke, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Duggy, Graf, Gumpy, Hayate, HBPencil, HEERDT, Jarink, Jaypack44, Juri_JS, kristorf, mapal, MarcoPegase44, monguse, PatCartier, PIPS, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, Tailhook, Tomi_099, US_Grant