Forums

• 2 questions : idea

Q: Are any of the AA contributing skinners working on batches of HD 2048 skins for Bf-109 E,G,K's and FW-190 Antons & Doras?

Q: what if any template changes will have to be made to the stock 4.10.1 Bf-109 E,G,K's and FW-190's templates?

• Actually , we are not that I know of working on any
    2048's here at A&A.
    We have some the best skinners in the community right here at A&A.
    All our Admin feel, and I should include myself, that
    we can obtain the same quality and better skinning
    with 1024 Templates. Thanks for asking, I hope you find what your looking for. Have you tried SAS?
    All The Best
    Cheers, Christopher

• The benefit form 2048 skins in IL2 is little to none, playing the game and sitting in your cockpit you don?t see much difference - it?s a screenshot feature and even in screenshots the difference is little.

• 64nyax

157bqdi

Please allow me to illustrate; the above two screenshots feature both x2048 and x1024 textures, viewed at approximately the same proximity to the 'camera'. Not trying to toot my own horn with that Avia, as there are certainly just as good or better x1024 skins floating about; but I needed a handy example. If we look closely at the B-534, we can see quite a bit of detail (well, hopefully; being a down-sized jpeg).. fabric textures, tire script, rivets, 3D effects (all those recessed features along the fuselage do not exist on the model, they're all faked, except for the gun blast-channels). And the Avia happens to be the skin at x1024 resolution.

Although I can just about guarantee, that if I were to take the time to rebuild my Avia template in x2048, that the resulting skins would look no better than the x1024 versions. In fact, they may look a little worse, as many of the details would be so tiny, that they would be less prominent at the same view distance.. sort of like a skin without rivets or panel lines, even though they're there. My theory is, that the IL2 engine is simply not designed to optimally display aircraft textures any greater than x1024. Map textures on the other hand, are a different matter; I've seen some really impressive landscapes using the HD mod. But when it comes to aircraft, the only advantage for x2048 that I can see, are for the cockpit/wing-views.

Now, about the Mustang; it features true x2048 textures. Nobody cheated by doing a simple 'x1024 up-size' on this one. And as we can see, the details are very distinctive; a real quality job that any skinner could be proud of.. and no, it's not mine smile But here's the catch; it's an FSX skin in it's native FSX environment, complete with dynamic lighting. And the FSX engine is REALLY GOOD at showing-off all those little details that x2048 offers. So how would a skin like this appear in IL2?..well, I've seen an example where someone ripped-off an FSX skinner without permission and used his textures in IL2, and it looked absolutely craptacular in the IL2 environment.. well, to me anyway; not to mention it was just downright un-ethical, but that's another matter.

Maybe if we could port the Avia over to FSX, I'd consider doing a x2048 template; it might actually be worth the time and effort. But for IL2? ..I just don't think it's worth it; x1024 looks just fine IMO, plus the file size is more user-friendly. And believe me, I'm one of those folks who likes as much detail as possible in their skins, so it takes a lot for me to make such a statement. Perhaps the observations I described, are a few reasons we don't see a lot of veteran IL2 skinners rushing to the x2048 band-wagon (?).

Anyway, my zwei pfennig. Cheers!

Moderator(s): Boelcke, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Duggy, Graf, Gumpy, Hayate, HBPencil, HEERDT, Jarink, Jaypack44, Juri_JS, kristorf, mapal, MarcoPegase44, monguse, PatCartier, PIPS, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, Tailhook, Tomi_099, US_Grant