Forums

• The LVG C. was a 1910s German two-seat reconnaissance biplane designed at the Luft-Verkehrs-Gesellschaft for the Luftstreitkräfte.

Like many other German manufacturers, the Luft-Verkehrs-Gesellschaft built a small series of B-type unarmed two-seaters during the early part of WW I which formed the basis for armed reconnaissance aircraft when the C-category was introduced in spring 1915.

The C.I\ C.II was developed from the LVG B.I, with the pilot and observer positions reversed, adding a ring-mounted Parabellum machine gun to the rear.

The first four LVG C-types were designed by Franz Schneider.

Only limited production was undertaken of the C.I (150 hp Benz Bz III), this being followed late in 1915 by the C.II, the basis for which was the unarmed B.II. The LVG C.II was produced in substantial numbers by the parent company, and by the Ago and Otto works, and was powered by a 160 hp Mercedes D.III. It was used extensively for visual and photographic reconnaissance work, and also for light bombing. One aircraft of this type made an audacious daylight raid on London on November 28, 1916, dropping six 22 lb (10 kg) bombs on Victoria railway station. The raid was not an unqualified success, since the aircraft was obliged to force-land in Allied territory on the return journey.

In spring 1916 there were some 250 C.I/C.II types in service, and some late-production C.II's had a forward-firing Spandau gun in addition to the usual Parabellum. It is thought that only one example of the C.III was completed, a smaller but slightly heavier version of the C.II in which the observer occupied the front seat. An enlarged version of the C.II appeared in 1916, this was the C.IV, powered by a neatly cowled 220 hp Mercedes D.IV and having a balanced rudder.

Variants
    LVG C.I - initial design, 120 kW (160 hp) Benz Bz.III engine.
    LVG C I 1915
    LVG C.II - production version.

II
    LVG Captured By The French
    LVG Captured By The French At Malmaison
    LVG C.III - single experimental aircraft, observer and machine gun moved to front.
    LVG C III 1915
    LVG C.IV - slightly larger, 160 kW (220 hp) Mercedes D.IV engine.
    LVG C IV Prototype
    LVG C IV 1916
    Specifications (C.II)
    General characteristics
    Crew: 2
    Capacity: 2
    Length: 8.10 m (26 ft 7 in)
    Wingspan: 12.85 m (42 ft 2 in)
    Height: 2.93 m (9 ft 7.25 in)
    Wing area: 37.60 m2 (404.74 sq ft)
    Empty weight: 845 kg (1,863 lb)
    Gross weight: 1,405 kg (3,097 lb)
    Powerplant: 1 × Mercedes D.III , 119 kW (160 hp)
    Performance
    Maximum speed: 130 km/h (81 mph, 70 kn)
    Range: 385 km (240 mi, 210 nmi)
    Endurance: 4 hours
    Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,125 ft)
    Wing loading: 37 kg/m2 (7.6 lb/sq ft)
    Armament
    1 × flexible 7.92 mm (.312 in) Parabellum MG14 machine gun
    1 × fixed, forward-firing 7.92 mm (.312 in) LMG 08/15 machine gun (later production aircraft)
    up to 60 kg (130 lb) of light bombs

Moderator(s): Boelcke, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Duggy, Graf, Gumpy, Hayate, HBPencil, HEERDT, Jarink, Jaypack44, Juri_JS, kristorf, mapal, MarcoPegase44, monguse, PatCartier, PIPS, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, Tailhook, Tomi_099, US_Grant